Search
  • FHoystedArts

Junior Thesis Week 1 Dev Log

Updated: Feb 26, 2020

My goal for this project is to design one character, with a weapon and a prop to go with them, and then 3D model them all.


Week 1 my task was to do rough sketch designs for all three things. I had already made a Pinterest board for the aesthetic I wanted to go for. You can check that out here: https://www.pinterest.com/faithhoysted/business-development-project/


I have been using my iPad and Procreate for all of my 2D drawing work so far. Basically what I was going for was a Victorian/ Steampunk vibe. I knew I wanted my character to be wearing "traditionally" men's clothing from that period.

In the end, these were the four rough designs that I ended up with.

With the first design, I realized that I just zoned out and got caught up in the details for two hours instead of designing multiple versions, which is why it is slightly more detailed than the rest.


Now that I had the rough character design out of the way, I moved on to a weapon. I wanted her to have some sort of pistol or handgun, so I looked at a bunch of vintage firearms on Pinterest for inspiration.

These are the designs that I came up with.

The last object to design was a prop. This one I had no idea what I wanted for this prop so it took a lot of just browsing through the internet to figure out what I wanted it to be.

In the end, I went with a couple of objects that I thought screamed Victorian-era/ Steampunk.


I realize now that I should have looked at reference for drawing these. I eventually go back and use a reference to draw the prop that I decided on for this project.


All in all, this week's workload wasn't too harsh. I was able to get it all done in the rough time frame that I estimated it would take. I am happy with the designs that came out of this week. Next week's goal is to finalize a design.

28 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All